I’ve been on a running kick lately – just look:
Yesterday was the first day that I’d not run in two weeks. I’ve been aiming for 5 miles a day; the days where I didn’t achieve that were the days where I forgot to increase the treadmill timer from 30 to 60 minutes. Oops.
Apparently – these are “junk miles“! Miles that I run just because I want to run them – no other objective than that. I guess serious runners try to avoid these sorts of runs…but I’m not a serious runner so I’m sticking with my junk miles runs. Here’s why:
- Because I can. I’ve never done any sort of running or running program until I turned 40. I’m still amazed that I can run at all! Never mind run 5 miles. Nearly every day! I’m so proud of myself for being able to do that.
- A 5-mile run burns about 500 calories. I set my fitbit food plan for a daily deficit of 500 calories, so this works out perfectly.
- I have a goal to be always half-marathon ready. And if I can run everyday for 5 miles, I feel like I could definitely run a half marathon. Maybe not at a PR speed, but it would be doable for me.
- My soap is about an hour long, so I watch it on the treadmill and get my miles in at the same time. Don’t judge.
- I feel great after a run. Those post-workout endorphins are no joke!
Some days I run faster and some days I run slower. But, I’M RUNNING. I haven’t yet run 5 miles EVERYDAY, so that’s my goal for next week. Wish me luck!
What exercise have you been doing lately?